The new 2021 iMac comes with the Apple M1 chip, which should come as no surprise.
However, Apple is making some outlandish performance claims here, claiming that it is up to 85% faster than the previous iMac, based on Intel’s silicon.
Release date and price
- If you want to get this eye-catching new iMac, here you don’t have to wait long.
- However, you can pre-order the new iMac (M1, 2021) starting April 30, and it will hit stores a bit later, at the end of May 2021.
- Fortunately, the flashy redesign and switch to the Apple M1 don’t come with a price increase.
- Pricing for the new 24-inch Apple iMac (2021) will remain $ 1,299 / £ 1,249 / AU $ 1,899 for the base model, giving you a 7-core M1, a 256GB SSD and 8GB of RAM.
- However, it can go up to $ 1,499 / £ 1,449 / AU $ 2,199, which will give you more color options.
- And USB-C ports and get you to the full 8-core version of the Apple M1, although it does come. With the same SSD and RAM.
- Both versions will have other RAM and SSD configurations available for extra money, but we won’t know how much it will cost to update those specs until the pre-order pages are available on April 30.
Design and Colors
- Although the 2021 MacBooks are perhaps the most anticipated new Macs of the year, the new iMac (2021) models will also garner a great deal of attention.
- Apple has completely redesigned the iMac, with a wide range of colors available, and it’s thinner and more compact than ever, thanks in large part to the Apple M1.
- It has allowed Apple to drastically shrink down the Logic Board, bringing the volume of the iMac down 50% – it’s just 11.5mm thin.
- And that’s while increasing the display to 24 inches. Up from the 21.5 inches that this tier of iMac has been in the past.
- As tech YouTuber Marques Brownlee points out, it’s so thin. Here Apple had no choice but to move the headphone jack.
- The new Apple iMac comes in seven colors, allowing you to find the PC that’s right for your aesthetic. The Apple iMac colors are: green, yellow, orange, pink, purple, blue, and silver.
- If you remember, back in the late 90s and early 2000s, this was the norm for the iMac, before Apple shifted to the same gray color scheme for every computer it launched.
- Because webcams are more critical than ever, and we’re all spending a lot of time on video calls.
- Apple has put the best camera that’s ever been in a Mac, and it’s more than just the sensor.
- Although this new FaceTime camera is just a 1080p sensor, something common in computers these days.
- Apple has created a whole software suite to deliver the best video quality possible, and it claims that the iMac (M1, 2021) will “make you look like a rockstar.”
- The new iMac can do this thanks to the image signal processor in the M1 chip, which gives the computer access to hardware-accelerated video processing.
- This means you’ll get excellent video quality, and it likely won’t impact your iMac’s performance, good news for anyone that likes to multitask in video calls.
- This webcam is paired with a triple microphone array, resulting in a more unmistakable voice and less background noise.
- We’ve all needed to deal with intrusive noises in our meetings, and hopefully, this will help eliminate that.
Specs and Performance
- Here Apple also has made some questionable claims about the GPU. And also, Apple claims that the iMac will have up to 2x faster GPU performance than the fastest integrated GPU.
- And also, which is a bold statement, particularly when you consider that AMD APUs exist.
- Then that’s something we’ll be sure to test once we get our hands on the new iMac.
- It is all behind a super high-resolution 24-inch 4.5K (4,480 x 2,520) display.
- The display will feature a P3 color gamut and will hit the same 500 nits of brightness that a MacBook Pro can hit – which is super bright.
- Here you’ll also get Apple’s True Tone technology, which, love it or hate it, is becoming the norm for Apple displays.
- In addition, of course, the M1 is founded on the same CPU architecture as the iPhone.
- Which income, you can easily mix your favorite iOS apps into your workflow without having to pull out your phone.
- Here the Apple iMac (M1, 2021) also comes with up to four USB-C ports, two of which would be Thunderbolt 4.
- Finished these connectors, you’d be able to connect up to a 6K display or multiple 4K displays.
- Besides, don’t worry about the power connection taking up one of those USB-C ports, either, as Apple introduces a new power connector one that’s magnetic to boot.
- Then has an integrated Ethernet port so you can run your internet connection and power the computer through a single, color-matching braided cable.
New iMac (2021) accessories and TouchID
- Fair because the new iMac comes in some flashy new colors, and a new processor doesn’t change what comes in the box.
- Here you still get the Magic Mouse (which still has a charger on the bottom of the mouse for some reason), along with a Magic Keyboard.
- Then, this time around, Apple has also refreshed its optional accessories to give you even more options.
- Specifically, there is now a Magic Keyboard through TouchID. We don’t see whether or not there’s a choice to have this bundled in when you buy the new iMac.
- Then the new Magic Keyboard will be available in a variety of colors, so you’ll be able to match it with whatever iMac color you go for.
Cross-Platform Or Native Mobile App Development?
If you’re looking to develop a mobile application, you’re likely to face one of two big decisions: react native or…